quinta-feira, 21 de maio de 2015

Day 3 - Verbs Avoir, Être and Faire

The French verbs avoir (to have), être (to be), and faire (to do/make) are the most important French verbs. They are used in some of the ways that we use them in English as well as in many expressions. Conjugations for all three of these verbs are irregular:

                              Avoir                                Être                            Faire
Je                              ai                                   suis                              fais
Tu                             as                                   es                                fais
Il                               a                                    est                               fait
Nous                        avons                             sommes                       faisons
Vous                        avez                                êtes                             faites
Ils                            ont                                  sont                             font

Even though être is the French equivalent of "to be," there are certain expressions in which you have to use avoir or faire to translate "to be."

-> Avoir means "to have" in most senses, including having in one's possession and currently experiencing.

J'ai deux stylos                J'ai trois frères                      J'ai mal à la tête                  
I have two pens              I have three brothers             I have a headache              

Note:
Avoir à can mean "to have to," but that expression is more commonly translated by devoir.

Expressions with Avoir

Avoir is used in a number of idiomatic expressions, many of which are translated by the English verb "to be":

J'ai 30 ans                     J'ai soif               J'ai froid            Il y a...
I am 30 years old          I am thirsty         I am cold           There is/are...

-> Être means "to be" in many senses that this verb is used in English.

1. It is used with adjectives, nouns, and adverbs to describe a temporary or permanent state of being:

Il est beau                  Je suis à Paris        Nous sommes français       Il est là-bas
He is handsome          I'm in Paris            We're French                    He's over there

2. Être is used to describe someone's profession; however, note that the indefinite article is not used in this construction in French:

Mon père est avocat                   Je suis étudiant
My father is a lawyer                  I'm a student

3. Être can be used with the preposition à plus a stressed pronoun to indicate possession:

Ce livre est à moi                    À qui est cet argent ?                   C'est à Paul.
This is my book.                     Whose money is this?                   It's Paul's.
-> Faire means "to do" and "to make" in most senses that these verbs are used in English.

Je fais la lessive                  Je fais mes devoirs                   Je fais un gâteau
I'm doing the laundry.         I'm doing my homework.         I'm making a cake.

Exceptions:

1) When "to make" is followed by an adjective, it is translated by rendre:
Ça me rend heureux. - That makes me happy

2) "To make a decision" is translated by prendre une décision:
J'ai pris une décision. - I made a decision

Expressions with faire:

Il fait du soleil      Il fait froid         Je fais du ski      Je fais du golf
It's sunny             It's cold out.     I ski.                  I golf.

Deux et deux font quatre.                                                   Je fais de l'autostop            
Two plus two equals (makes) four.                                     I'm hitchhiking.                  

0 comentários:

Postar um comentário